Pages

Monday, November 18, 2013

Pounamu (Greenstone)

This is the beginning of what I consider as my first greenstone carving. I say this because I've only ever added pieces of Greenstone to other carvings.  Greenstone (Pounamu) is found in the South Island of New Zealand. 
I intend to exclude part of the design before you as it looks too busy. I'm not all that good at knowing the different types of Greenstone there are so unfortunately am unsure what type this piece is. Maybe 'Kahurangi'. The approx size is 9cm H x 5.5cm W x 1cm D
  
I've also been working on the deer antler carving. The top of the granite base has some scratches so I need to find time to work on that. I'm working on the two pieces made of deer antler that will support the carving on it's base. After that it's a short step to completing the carving.
It's hard to see anything here  as the shine affects the photo and forgive all the rubbish around it but it gives you the general idea of the base.